Joy Belmonte eyes stricter restrictions as COVID-19 cases in QC rise
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte is considering imposing stricter restrictions to arrest the rapid rise in COVID-19 cases.
In a virtual press conference on March 10, Belmonte expressed alarm at the 190 percent increase in new COVID-19 cases recorded by the City Health Department per day, or 218 cases between March 2 and 8 from 75 cases recorded from the same week last month.
“I call this a surge. I believe this demands stricter restrictions from the higher government. The local government hasn’t received any guidelines, but if we are given clearance to proceed we, in QC, would like to implement added restrictions,” she said.
Belmonte said the city government is mulling lessening capacities of establishments and churches for two weeks.
She said the city government has also started consultations with barangays, commercial establishments and the Church to get suggestions on additional restrictions that should be implemented.
“As the Lenten Season approaches we will be meeting with the Bishops of Novaliches and Cubao so that together we can come up with solutions to avert further increases in numbers,” Belmonte said.