Toby Tiangco warns of spike in COVID-19 cases after Red Cross halts COVID-19 testing
Navotas Mayor Toby Tiangco has warned of a possible surge in COVID-19 cases as a result of the impasse between PhilHealth and the Philippine Red Cross (PRC).
Tiangco said Navotas’ testing capacity has dropped 51 percent this week after PRC stopped testing specimen from the local government on October 14.
“The issue has severely affected our testing capacity. With limited testing, our COVID cases could shoot up and we could lose all the gains we have achieved so far,” he said.
Tiangco said testing is important in curbing the spread of COVID-19, noting that the local government was able to bring down the positivity rate in July after increasing the number of individuals tested in the city to 500 daily.
As of October 20, Navotas has tested 36,358 individuals or 13.6% of its population.
“Mass testing, coupled with intensive contact tracing, isolation or treatment, is crucial in our fight against COVID-19. We hope for a speedy resolution to the PhilHealth-PRC issue so we could once again be all out in our efforts to end this pandemic,” Tiangco said.