Zarate commends Duterte for ceasefire declaration
Bayan Muna party-list Rep. Carlos Zarate on Monday issued a rare commendation for President Rodrigo Duterte for declaring a reciprocal ceasefire with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines from December 23 until January 7.
“We strongly commend Pres. Rodrigo Duterte as principal of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP), and, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) for seriously considering the December 21 recommendation of the negotiating panels of both the GRP and NDFP for a unilateral but reciprocal nationwide ceasefires beginning midnight of December 23, 2019 until midnight of January 7, 2020,” he said.
“This cessation of hostilities is certainly a much welcome present for the people during these holidays,” according to the Makabayan lawmaker.
“This will certainly facilitate a favorable environment necessary for the formal resumption of the cancelled peace talks between the GRP and NDFP, which is long awaited by our people,” he added.
He called on the two sides “to resume the talks in earnest without preconditions and based on previously signed and binding agreements.”
“We urge Pres. Duterte, as well as the principal of the NDFP, and the negotiators of both parties to stay the course and always consider the primordial interests of our country and people as their guide,” Zarate said.