metromanila.politics.com.ph

Bayan Muna condemns ransacking of top official’s Caloocan home

0 2,458

Bayan Muna chairman Neri Colmenares and Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate on Wednesday condemned the ransacking of the ancestral home of Bayan Muna secretary general Nathanael Santiago in Zabarte, Caloocan City.

“The ancestral home of Nathanael Santiago was ransacked last night by still unidentified men who entered his room and rummaged through his belongings.His clothes and that of his family were left scattered across the room but his laptop or even the other appliances were suspiciously not taken,” according to Colmenares.

“This is really condemnable and we believe that this is part of the ongoing attacks on members of progressive groups and the opposition,” he added.

“While no one was present when it was ransacked, these kinds of attacks traumatize his family,” added the Makabayan leader.

Zarate said that according witnesses, two weeks ago a man was asking around the area if Santiago was willing to have the house rented. Santiago’s cousin said that the house is not for rent.

“But just last week though the same man returned and asked if the house is again for rent,” Zarate added.

“This is another attack on our ranks and we believe that it is part of the administration’s continuing plan to suppress the opposition especially now that they failed to block the Makabayan bloc in returning to Congress,” Zarate said.

Colmenares demanded that the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to “publicly inform us if they are planning to arrest our Secretary General.”

“We will face these cases but we demand transparency from government. The election is already over. There is no need to continue this harassment,” he said.