Brace for detours: Makati announces road closures for Holy Week
The city government of Makati will be implementing road closures and traffic rerouting plans beginning 6 a.m. of Palm Sunday (April 14) until 10 p.m. of Easter Sunday (April 21).
The following streets will be closed to traffic for the entire Holy Week to make way for the construction of Kubols (Makeshift Chapels or Kalbaryos):
1. Gen. Luna Street (From P. Burgos Street to Mercado Street)
2. Enriquez Street (From Don Pedro Street to Fermina Street)
3. San Marcos Street (From Pagulayan Street to P. Burgos Street)
4. San Juan Street (From Pagulayan Street to P. Burgos Street)
5. Don Pedro Street (From Gabaldon Street to Manalac Street)
6. Guanzon Street (From P. Burgos Street to Makati Avenue)
7. San Mateo Street (From D.M. Rivera Street to P. Gomez Street)
8. Agno Street (From D.M. Rivera Street to P. Gomez Street)
9. Dona Epifania Street (From A. Mabini Street to Agno Street)
10. Ilaya Street (From A. Mabini Street to J.P. Rizal Street)
11. Don Pedro Street (A. Mabini Street to Villena Street)
12. Albert Street (Villena Street to Palma Street)
13. P. Gomez Street (From J.P. Rizal Street to Zamora Street)
14. P. Gomez Street (Hagdang Bato Whole Block)
15. San Agustin Street (From P. Burgos Street to P. Gomez Street)
16. Quintos Street (From Santiago Street to Singian Street)
17. Molina Street (From Quintos Street to Singian Street)
18. Zenaida Street (From E. Zobel Street to F. Zobel Street)
19. Bagong Diwa Street (From M.L. Quezon Street to Pertierra Street)
20. Ma. Aurora Ext. Street (From Pertierra Street to Ma. Aurora Street)
21. Osmeña Street (From M.L. Quezon Street to Bridge Service Road/P. Burgos Street)
To give way for processions, motorists are advised to take the following alternate routes on Holy Wednesday (April 17) and Good Friday (April 19) from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Vehicles going to Westside Makati / The Circuit/ Manila:
(From Westbound Makati or Guadalupe Area)
From J.P. Rizal Street, Light vehicles must turn left to Estrella Street, turn right to Rockwell Drive, turn right to Kalayaan Avenue (District 1), then, turn left to Makati Avenue. Afterwards, make a right turn to Jupiter Street or Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, turn right to N. Garcia Street (Reposo Street) and turn left to J.P. Rizal Avenue and follow the usual route to destination.
Meanwhile, from J.P. Rizal Street, Public Utility Vehicles, jeepneys, and small trucks must turn left to Estrella Street, turn right to EDSA, turn right to Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, cross Paseo Intersection and Makati Avenue Intersection. Afterwards, make a right turn to N. Garcia Street (Reposo Street) and turn left to J.P. Rizal Avenue and follow the usual route to destination.
Vehicles going to Guadalupe/ Pateros/ EDSA:
(From Eastbound Makati or Delpan Area)
From J.P. Rizal Avenue, head straight to Kalayaan Avenue then turn right to N. Garcia Street. Make a left-turn to Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, cross Makati Avenue Intersection and Paseo de Roxas Avenue intersection. Afterwards, turn right to EDSA if going to Mandaluyong and Quezon City area. If going to Pasay City, motorists must take the Buendia flyover from EDSA.
Vehicles going to Mandaluyong City via Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge:
(From Northbound Makati or Makati Central Business District-Ayala)
Traverse Ayala Avenue to South Avenue then turn right to Kalayaan Avenue. Make a left turn to Pililia Street, then, turn right to J.P. Rizal Avenue, and make a left turn at Makati Avenue and J.P. Rizal Extension to Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge.
Motorists can also take the Ayala-EDSA flyover or Buendia-EDSA flyover in Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue to Mandaluyong City.
Vehicles going to Makati Central Business District – Ayala:
(From Mandaluyong City via Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge)
From Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge, turn right to J.P. Rizal Avenue, then, turn left to Zapote Street and turn left to Kamagong Street. Afterwards, turn right to Ayala Avenue Extension and cross Ayala Avenue/Sen Gil J. Puyat Avenue intersection to destination.
A two-way traffic flow will be implemented at the stretch of J.P. Rizal Street (from Pasong Tirad to Makati Avenue) starting at 6am of Palm Sunday, April 14, to 10pm of Easter Sunday, April 21.
Normal traffic flow will resume on April 22, 6 a.m.