Iresponsable! Palace moving heaven and earth to install Marcos as VP – Villarin
By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN
An opposition solon on Thursday slammed Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque for saying President Rodrigo Duterte might step down if former Senator Ferdinand “Bong-Bong” Marcos Jr. will win his electoral protest against Vice President Leni Robredo.
Akbayan Rep. Tom Villarin said Roque’s statement only affirmd that “Malacañang is moving heaven and earth to influence the decision of the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) in favor of Marcos.”
“It is highly irresponsible for Presidential Spox Harry Roque to say that President Duterte will turn over the presidency to the son and namesake of a dictator, Ferdinand Marcos Jr.” said Villarin
Villarin stressed it was “high irresponsible” for Malacañang to suggest that Marcos becomes the presumptive successor while the electoral case is still being tried in the Supreme Court sitting as PET.
Marcos lost to Robredo by a slim margin close to 260,000 votes during the 2016 national polls. The recount of ballots from Marcos’ three chosen provinces has entered its fourth month earlier this month.
The Akbayan solon suggested Malacañang’s latest pronouncement only “rubs salt to old wounds and provokes Filipinos to relive the dark horrors of martial law where the Marcoses have never apologized and are now revising history.”
In November 2016, President Rodrigo Duterte finally allowed the state funeral of Marcos’ father, the late dictator and former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.
On Tuesday (August 14), Duterte disclosed during a speaking engagement that he prefers either the younger Marcos or Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero to succeed him if he decided to step down from presidency.