Inaapi na tayo! Video of Chinese taking fish from Filipinos proves Duterte fooling people – Alejano
By Xave Gregorio
A video showing the Chinese Coast Guard taking Filipino fishermen’s catch in Panatag Shoal disproves the Duterte administration’s claim that they are able to fish freely in the area, said opposition solon Magdalo party-list Rep. Gary Alejano.
“Isa na naman itong pagpapatunay na hindi tugma ang mga sinasabi at pahayag ng administrasyong Duterte sa kung ano ang reyalidad sa ibaba. Niloloko na naman nila ang taumbayan,” Alejano said Friday (June 8) in a statement.
“The Chinese Coast Guard is acting much like pirates bypassing small Filipino fishermen and stealing their catch. Kung kaibigan pala natin ang China, tulad ng sinasabi ng administrasyong Duterte, ganito ba dapat ang trato sa isang kaibigan?” he said further.
GMA News obtained a mobile phone video showing Chinese Coast Guard boarding a Filipino vessel and taking some of the fish Filipino fishermen caught.
But Malacañang said the video is “inconclusive” and has asked for written statements from fishermen who appeared in the video and also requested GMA News to “authenticate” the video.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque also said the video could be a ground for protest “if established,” but added that he “didn’t see any bullying.”
Alejano urged the Duterte administration should show some mercy to Filipino fishermen and protect the country’s territory.
“Ang panawagan ko lang sa administrasyong Duterte, magkaroon naman kayo ng awa para sa ating mga mangingisda at tapang na protektahan ang ating teritoryo at ipaglaban ang ating karapatan,” he said.
At a House inquiry last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano claimed the Philippines has filed 50 to 100 diplomatic protests against China, but are opting not to publicize these.
However, he later defined diplomatic protests to be any statement of disagreement and are not necessarily on paper.