Susunod o hindi? NBI told to explain why Taguba not moved to Manila City jail
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) must explain why Customs fixer Mark Taguba remains under its custody.
Judge Rainelda Estacio-Montesa of Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 46 ordered NBI Custodial Center chief Menardo Cariaga to explain within 48 hours why Taguba is not yet transferred to Manila City Jail despite a court order.
The judge said the NBI official will be cited for contempt if he fails to submit his explanation.
The court earlier denied Taguba’s motion to remain under NBI detention, citing lack evidence that there is threat to his life.
On Monday, Taguba’s lawyers filed a very urgent motion to keep him under the NBI’s custody saying that he would be exposed to “grave danger” if transferred.
In the motion for reconsideration, Taguba’s father, Ruben, claimed to have information that one of the government officials his son had named during the Senate hearings on the P6.4-billion shabu shipment was out to kill him once he is at the Manila City jail.
In November last year, Taguba is charged by the DOJ with importation of illegal drugs as the alleged middleman in the P6.4 billion shabu shipment from China in May last year.
The DOJ had charged Taguba and 9 others in but cleared Customs officials who had been implicated in the shipment mess.
Taguba’s arraignment is set on February 23.