Alejano to PH authorities: Cooperate with ICC in probe of EJKs
Magdalo partylist Rep. Gary Alejano on Thursday called on all Philippine authorities to cooperate with the International Criminal Court as it launches a preliminary examination on the Duterte government’s bloody drug war.
Alejano, along with Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, filed in June 2017 a supplemental communication with the ICC supporting the earlier filing of lawyer Jude Sabio accused the President and 11 other officials of committing mass murder against its citizens.
“I hope that the preliminary examination will be allowed to carry on – unhindered and with full cooperation from concerned authorities, organizations, and personalities,” he said.
Alejano, who tried but failed to have President Rodrigo Duterte impeached over the drug killings last year, said he welcomed the move of the ICC to conduct a probe on the extrajudicial killing of drug suspects in the drug war.
“I welcome this decision of the ICC to conduct a preliminary examination on the war on drugs policy of President Duterte. The preliminary examination will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant an investigation,” he said.
“I am confident on the communication we sent to the ICC and strongly believe that President Duterte and those who perpetuate and defend this policy of killing should be held accountable before the law,” he said.
“This initial step of the ICC is also the first step towards bringing justice to the families and all the victims of the war on drugs,” Alejano said.
“The ICC, stepping in, is a ray of hope amid the compromised rule of law under this administration,” he added.